We will be having a meeting and presentation at Amazon in Seattle on September 12th. More details and RSVP link can be found here.
We will be having a tour of Leatherman Tools in Portland on June 20th. More details and RSVP link can be found here.
Plan, execute and manage continuous improvement processes for multiple food processing and packaging plants, including facility and equipment capital project management up to several million dollars annually. Primary focus of this position will be to encourage and coordinate continuous improvement as well as ensure smooth project execution through detailed project planning, communication and proper utilization and coordination of available resources. Minimum 3 years experience managing capital projects in a fast-paced, growth oriented manufacturing environment. Experience with sophisticated packaging equipment in consumer packaged goods industry preferred. BS degree in Engineering or related field preferred. Will consider mechanical or electrical journey level trade certification, in combination with appropriate level of project management experience and skills.
For information on this and other positions in the food industry, please contact:
Terri Suthers, CPC
Suthers & Associates
Nick Cowel has expressed interest and accepted the open position as Cascade Chapter President. He is a Senior Packaging Engineer with 12 years professional experience in a various industries including High Tech, Automotive, Pharmaceutical and Contract Packaging. 1998 graduate from Michigan State University’s School of Packaging and a member of IoPP since 1995. Served in various positions on MSU’s IoPP Student Chapter Board including President (1997), Vice President (1997) and Treasurer (1996). Recipient of the “Outstanding Representative of IoPP Scholarship Award”, MSU IoPP Student Chapter (1997). As a board member of MSU’s IoPP Student Chapter – was responsible for scheduling, coordinating & hosting chapter meetings, corporate visits, university and Pack Expo events as well as growing student memberships and collecting membership dues & event fees.
IoPP announces the arrival of two new books in its Bookstore.
Environmental Packaging Guidelines is written by Becchi Oesterle, Immediate Past Chairman of IoPP’s Sustainable Packaging Technical Committee. The book updates a lot of information from a previous edition, and Becchi also introduces several new chapters and a packaging scenario case study to illustrate key points made throughout the book.
The other book is the Pharmaceutical Packaging Handbook. It’s written by IoPP member and Packaging Hall of Famer Edward J. Bauer, and it examines packaging approaches for pharmaceutical products, as well as for biologics, medical foods and medical devices.
As always, IoPP members receive a generous discount off the price of each book. To order, go to www.iopp.org/bookstore.
We are compiling results of our membership’s efforts over the past year that will qualify us for the Chapter of the Year award. We are asking for your help.
The categories below are all worth points for our chapter. If you are a member of IoPP and have contributions in any of these categories, please email Ashley Vogel by February 10, 2012.
- Articles: Awarded for each article authored or co-authored by a chapter member that appears in a packaging publication. Please provide the publication issue, page number and author.
- Lecture: Awarded for each chapter member who lectures at a career day, fund raising activity or similar event including an allied industry organization meeting.
- CPP Applicants: Awarded for each chapter member applying for the certification exam.
- New CPP Recipients: Awarded for each member achieving CPP status.
- CPP Recertification: Awarded for each chapter member qualifying for Recertification.
- Professional Development: Awarded for each hour of presentation when a chapter sponsors a special meeting for the purpose of professional development.
- Design Competitions: Awarded for each entry from a chapter member in a packaging competition.
- IoPP Packaging Competition: Awarded for each entry from a chapter member in the AmeriStar Package Competition.
- Mentoring: Awarded for establishing and maintaining a mentoring program.
- Award Nominations: Awarded for each nomination of a chapter member in the annual Awards determinations: Institute Fellow, etc.
- Technical Council: Awarded for establishing a Technical Activities Council to coordinate with National’s Council.
- Committee Members: Awarded for each chapter member serving on a National Technical Committee or task group.
- Allied Organizations: Awarded for each chapter member serving in a volunteer capacity on another allied industry organization technical council.
A well known Fortune 500 company in the Food/Beverage Industry located in Seattle is hiring a Packaging Engineer. They are looking to bring this person onto their team immediately. This job contributes to this company’s success by planning and executing assigned projects related to the development of packaging and packaging systems that supports the successful execution of company initiatives.
If you are interested or know someone that would benefit from hearing more, please contact Megan Mallough, Technical Recruiter with Aerotek at 425-893-6006 and send your resume to email@example.com.
The Fundamentals of Packaging Technology, IoPP’s well-received educational program in packaging, announces 2012 course dates. It is a chance for those who need more training in particular areas of packaging to sharpen their job skills, or for newcomers to gain a well-rounded grounding the profession. The program covers all aspects of packaging, with three-day sessions in January-February in Orlando, FL; June-July in Chicago, IL; and September-October in Atlanta, GA. Early sign-up is strong for Orlando, so act soon to assure your seat. For details, visit www.iopp.org/fundamentals.
Wednesday, December 14
After Hours Event: 6:00 to 7:00 pm
With the year quickly coming to a close (along with Ashley’s and Eric’s tenure coming to a close as Co-Presidents of the Cascade Chapter), please save the date to stop by the Rock Bottom Brewery in Bellevue, WA for a “no host bar”. This is our opportunity as a chapter to thank Ashley and Eric in person for their years of leadership, energy and initiative for the benefit of the Cascade Chapter. Come by and share in a drink and appetizer. There will be no formal program . . . just a lot of fun (and some prizes).
Rock Bottom Brewery
550 106th Avenue NE, Bellevue Galleria, Bellevue 98004
If you could RSVP to Jamie Greene via email that would be much appreciated.
Calling all Golfers!
Wednesday, August 17th, 2011
Tee Times between 12:00 and 12:30pm
Foster Golf Links
13500 Interurban Ave South, Tukwila, WA 98168
Cost: $30 per person for Green Fees (18 holes)
To register visit our Payment Page to pay through PayPal
Calling all Non-Golfers (and Golfers): Join us after golf at the 19th Hole around 5pm
Billy Baroo’s Restaurant (part of Foster Golf Links)